Written by the Lenovo Companion App Content Team
Here’s a common scenario: You’re in a hurry to go from one place to another. You leave your laptop turned on, with the display open, and grab the corner and start walking. The next thing you know, it slips and falls out of your hands to the floor. Now you’re stuck with a broken laptop and wishing you had purchased Lenovo’s Accidental Damage Protection (ADP).
Sound familiar? You’re not alone and we see this all the time. While Lenovo PCs are durable, they still need to be handled with care.
Here are some tips on how to carry your laptop when moving from place-to-place.
How to Carry Your Laptop
The beauty of laptops, especially the more recent convertible and 2-in-1 notebooks, is that they are incredibly versatile. Whether you’re going from meeting-to-meeting or just moving to a different room in your home, here are our suggestions on how to carry your laptop safely:
- Purchase Accidental Damage Protection. This is important! ADP is available as an upgrade at the time you purchased your PC or within the 90 days after your purchase your new PC. Read more about what is covered by ADP.
- Shut down. There are three ways to do this: power the PC off completely, hibernate or put it to sleep. Learn more about each mode here.
- Unplug external devices. Carry all items that plug into your laptop separately, including USB keys and the AC adapter.
- Close the laptop lid. Press down on the middle of the exterior of the lid. Push down slowly. Even if you’re in a hurry, make sure not to slam it shut or you could damage the display.
- Hold your laptop securely and carefully. Be sure to hold it in a safe manner, so it won’t drop or slip easily.
Tip: Do not pick up your laptop by the screen or corner! This puts undue pressure on the hinges that attach the screen to the base. Plus, it’s easy for the laptop to slip out of your hands in this position.
How to Travel with Your Laptop
If you’re traveling with your laptop–whether in a car, train or airplane–here are some tips what you can do to keep your laptop safe:
- Shut down completely. Laptops can overheat if left on while in a travel bag or carrying case.
- Unplug external devices. Remove all devices that plug into your laptop and place them in separate compartment so they don’t accidentally crack the exterior of your laptop.
- Carry your laptop in a protective case. There are several options to consider when selecting a carrying case. Lenovo offers a multitude of styles to meet your travel needs including backpacks, messenger bags, sleeves and carrying cases. Make sure that the case you select fits snugly around all sides of the laptop so it won’t slip or move around. Tip: You can buy carrying cases and accessories directly in Lenovo Companion. Just click on the Accessories icon in the “My System” section.
- Avoid exposing your laptop to extreme temperatures. While a protective case can protect your laptop from bumps, it won’t protect it from extreme temperatures. Avoid leaving your laptop in a bag in spaces that can get extremely hot or cold, such as cars
- Avoid moisture and damp environments. This is an obvious one, but it’s important to remember.
Tip: When flying, carry on your laptop bag. Be sure not to check it with your luggage. Once on board, place the laptop bag under the seat in front of you. Laptops placed in overhead storage areas can get bumped or damaged.
And here are some other general tips to keep in mind when traveling with your PC:
- Back-up your data. Make sure to back-up your data on a regular basis, especially before and during travel. Keep the back-up and your laptop in separate places or in the cloud. We recommend using Lenovo REACHit.
- Don’t leave your laptop unattended. Physically secure your laptop with a security cable lock.
- Protect your PC with internet security software. We’ve written several times about the importance of PC security. We can’t emphasize this enough!
- Be wary of WiFi. Only connect to networks you trust. And, to be more secure, connect using WWAN or through your smartphone hotspot.
Lenovo Companion | Your Go-To App
Read more content like this in the Lenovo Companion app, which is preloaded on all Windows 8 and 8.1 Lenovo and Think systems.You can find it on your system in the Lenovo Apps section on the Windows Start Screen.
Lenovo Companion is filled with exclusive content to help you learn about your new Lenovo or Think system. You'll find quick-reference “how to” articles on everything from getting to know the preloaded apps on your system to how to use your new trackpad. And, in select countries, you'll be able to stay up-to-date on technology news with articles and blogs from trusted sources, partners and Lenovo Insider bloggers.
Be sure to note...the new version of Lenovo Companion is only available on Windows 8.1. So, if you’re running Windows 8 or an older version of Windows, now is the time to upgrade.
Continue reading more about Lenovo Companion in this blog post.